My life is extremely busy. From one moment to the next, I have about 300,000 things on my to-do list. The one thing that can pull my day to a screeching halt is… a cold. All of my life, every time I ever got a cold, it would make me so miserable I couldn’t do anything. For weeks.
- Elderberry. Before having kids, I had never even heard of elderberry. It has a lot of health benefits and it has been used for hundreds of years as a part of traditional medicine. They have large amounts of vitamins and antioxidants, and its health benefits range from digestive health, cardiovascular protection, immune system health, and bone health and inflammation. It helps alleviate respiratory conditions such as cold and cough, which is why I use it while I’m sick and even when I’m not to help avoid sickness. It’s only when I’m not taking do I catch nasty germs.
If you want to check out what I personally use, you can view it here on Amazon:Nature’s Way Sambucus Black Elderberry Original Syrup, 8 Ounce
And also here is the children’s gummies that I buy too:Zarbee’s Mighty Bee Gummy – Elderberry – 42 ct
- Apple Cider Vinegar: I love ACV. It naturally alkalinizes the body, and most illnesses can’t thrive in alkaline environments. Make sure that if you use it, buy the raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized versions that include “The Mother of Vinegar” which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules. It is rich potassium, it helps soothe dry throats, and it also helps support a healthy immune system.
Did you know that Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout history? In 400 B.C. the great Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, used it for its amazing health qualities! You can also give it to your kids as well, and use it during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It’s also healthy for your pets, including horses!
- Saline Nasal Spray- I never liked the thought of spraying anything into my nose. I broke down and eventually bought some because my poor nose was raw from trying to get all that congestion loose. I actually tried Nasonex when I was little and I remember it gave me the worst nosebleeds while I was in school. I never used a spray again. But now if I ever have a stuffy nose, saline nasal spray is one of the top things on my list. I can’t use anything with a drug in it because I’m nursing the twins. Saline spray is perfectly safe to use as many times as you need to while you’re sick.
- You spray in one nostril, and gently breathe in a little through your nose, even if you can’t breathe through it. It’ll help the spray get to the toughest spots in your nose. A couple of times in each nostril usually does the trick for me. And the best thing to do is to be very patient and gentle with yourself! If you’re blowing your nose really hard, its only going to make the inflammation worse.
Those are my major essentials for knocking colds down. Other things that help me battle them are:
- chicken soup
- coconut water
- foods with fresh garlic or ginger
- lots of dark leafy things, spinach, kale, etc
- plenty of rest and sleep
What are your experiences with Apple Cider Vinegar or Elderberry? Do you have a go-to cold relief protocol? Let me know in the comments below!