Start your new blog in 5 minutes!
Many of my friends are asking about how I started my blog. I don’t use a free blogging website for this site. I own my own domain and I use a hosting service called Bluehost for my blog. The great thing about having a self-hosted site is that you have complete control over the management of your site. You control every single thing from what it says, how it looks, and it gives you the opportunity to earn money from it which most free blogging websites do not allow.
I recommend Bluehost HANDS DOWN for new bloggers because of its user friendly website and control panel and you can register your domain name with them as well. WordPress itself recommends Bluehost for bloggers. Hosting and domain services can be tricky and the awesome thing about it is that you can do everything in one place.
I’m going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to get a blog the same way I did! I am still learning so much about my website and my blog, and I’m having so much fun! The thing about blogging is that the sky is truly the limit. There are so many things you can do along with writing your blog and so many opportunities that you will never get bored.
Before you get started, think about what you want your domain name to be. A domain name is simply your website name. Think about what your blogging niche will be and choose your name accordingly!
1. Go to Bluehost.com. Click, “Get Started Now”. All you need to do is buy the most basic package from Bluehost. The larger packages are for large websites and I recommend using the smallest package if you’re just starting out! It’s also very simple to migrate an already existing free WordPress.com blog to your new website with WordPress for website owners! So if you already have a free WordPress blog, you don’t have to start from scratch. If you need to know how to do that, click here.
2. Pick your package. The package prices are shown per month to help you compare prices with other companies, and show you the savings you will get with using Bluehost. Once you pick your package, you’ll see the price for the full year, which is simply that price for 12 months. I have done a TON of research on Bluehost and its competitors and if anyone knows me, I am a bargain hunter, and I am very choosy about who I do business with online. It has to be a very high rated, trusting company and Bluehost fits the bill, along with it being the best value for a new blogger.
3. Enter your domain name now!
4. Enter in your information.
5. Now you need to install WordPress. When you’re done registering and purchasing your plan, you will go to your cPanel, which is your Control Panel for your website. Find the Website section and click “Install WordPress”, then click Install. You will need to choose your domain to install it to. Click Install Now.
6. You will now see the progress page, which will show you how far along the installation is. Once WordPress is fully installed, it will provide you with your Site URL, the admin login URL, your username, and password. You will get a copy of this information, except your password, in your email as well. Make sure you keep it in a safe place.
Some of this information was taken from the help pages of Bluehost.com! I picked out key points to help me better explain which steps to take.
So there you have it! If you have any questions or if you need help please let me know! I will be very happy to help you every step of the way!